New Green Area for Nerja

Posted on

Elections countdown: Nerja Town Hall announced in February that they wanted to reactivate a project to create a green area at the eastern end of town.

The area in question is between the N-340, heading towards Maro and the housing estates next to Burriana Beach.

With the elections nine days away, the Mayor decided that he needed more votes, perhaps, so they announced that they had put out to tender an environmental project entitled green ring (Green Ring) with a budget of 438,010 euros to create a greenbelt area of 25,566 sq/m.

The exact location is next to the Capistrano Village Urbanization and the northern end of burriana(in the proximity of Lucena Street).

According to a Town Hall communiqué, they have approved the contract terms for the first phase of the project, stipulating that those companies interested in the contract have until the 1st of June to enter a bid.

The project includes a footpath 800 metres long and 3-metres wide, occupying a total of 2,400 sq/m which will run from north to south. The work will also include clearing the land of brush, etc and the planting of new vegetation.

Not surprisingly, most of the funds (80%) will come from the European Regional Development Fund Feder, whilst the municipal coffers will provide the remaining 20%.

Editorial comment: electoral Smarty points, obviously but if the Mayor loses the elections, the newcomers will have to find the 20% and if he wins, well, there is no rush, right? Anyway, it will make a nice change for the Mayor from creating a huge rubbish tip in the middle of a natural park, won’t it?

(News: Nerja, Axarquia,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *