The young man who was badly injured in an explosion at home last Saturday in the city of Granada is thought to have been ‘cooking’ hashish when it happened.
The 20-year-old is now out of the ICU for burns but is likely to suffer consequences from his injuries during the rest of his life.
It appears that he opened the fridge door and when its motor kicked in it ignited accumulated gas. The gas is believed to have been produced when trying to use butane to heat marihuana leaves.
Here is a better explanation about this process, taken from the National Center for Biotechnology Information website:
“The use of marijuana concentrates has escalated in recent years with butane extracts appearing particularly popular. The administration of butane hash oil, colloquially referred to as “dabbing,” is distinct from traditional flower cannabis usage due to the THC content of samples and the presence of impurities such as unpurged butane. While this may confer heightened risk to the user, additional significant concerns are tied to fires and explosions. Using butane as a solvent in amateur “blasting” methods may result in a flammable vapor pooling in enclosed spaces and igniting when exposed to a spark.”
The incident occurred on the main, city thoroughfare, Parapet walk just after noon.
There have been three similar incidents of this kind between 2021 and 2022 in Dúrcal, Armilla and Atarfe. These explosions caused six hospitalisations in ICUs because of extensive burns, as well as damaging three dwellings.
In Armilla an explosion blasted the wooden front door of a flat which would have killed anybody had they been going past it at the time. In Atarfe a wall blew out and littered the street with rubble — luckily nobody was walking beneath at the time, and in the case of Dúrcal on Campohermoso Streetfour young people were injured, two of whom where minors (the victims’ ages ranged between 16 and 21).
Explosion on Camino de Ronda
(News: City & Metropolitan Area, Granada, Andalucia)