The fire that ripped through Camping La Herradura yesterday evening turned 19 caravans and 25 camping plots to ash.
This camp site has been around for over 30 years and normally hosts 60 caravans. Not all of the caravans that are parked up during the winter were affected but nearly a score were.
But it’s not only parked caravans that were consumed by flames but also rented plots where they park caravans or set up large, family tents. These spaces have wooden fences around them and other adornments as permanent fixtures.
During the height of the fire flames are reported to have reached three storeys high and there were real fears that the fire could spread to the nearby block of flats; hence the evacuation of nearly 200 residents during the hour and a half that it took to bring it under control and finally put it out. Some of the residents had mobility problems and had to be helped out of the building by the Guardia Civil.
Fire personnel had to face the added hazard — as if a major fire was not bad enough — of dozens of exploding butane bottles.
The fire is thought to have started in the storage area of the camp site and spread from there down the camping grounds.
(News: Herradura, Costa Tropical, Granada, Andalusia – Photo: Ideal)